From the creators of 2018’s Spanish dance sensation, ‘Recuerdos’.
All covid-19 protocols will be observed and social distancing will be implemented in the seating arrangements.
Age Restriction: None
Running time: Approximately 90 minutes, with a 20-minute interval.
Following sold-out seasons of RECUERDOS at both Pieter Toerien’s Theatre on the Bay in 2017 and the Pieter Toerien Theatre at Montecasino in 2018, internationally acclaimed and award-winning South African based guitarist JAMES GRACE once again joins forces with COMPAÑíA SOPHIA, directed by Spanish Dance choreographer and principle dancer CARLI OLIVIER to present their brand-new production, ROMANZA; a Spanish-inspired guitar and dance programme featuring music from Grace’s recent SAMA-winning album ANADALUZA – MUSIC OF SPAIN III, including specially arranged works by composers including Albéniz, de Falla, and José Galván with original choreography by Olivier.
As always, allow the sway of skirts electrified by flamenco dancers with the sounds of guitar and castanets transport you to the beauty and romance of Spain.
“…the grammar and vocabulary of the choreography conjures up a storm of formal Spanish dance protocol blended with a touch of utter magic.” (Robyn Sassen)
“…a stunning visual experience…” (Sheila Chisholm, weekendspecial.co.za
- Pieter Toerien’s Theatre is a Covid-19 compliant venue and face masks are required to be worn at all times in the theatre. The Theatre will enforce a firm “No Mask – No Entry” policy.
- ALL guests and staff are subject to a temperature check on entering the Montecasino complex.
- All staff and patrons are required to observe social distancing protocols upon entry to the venue.
- On arrival at the theatre, all patrons will be required to complete a brief Covid-19 questionnaire as part of the Government thorough track-and-trace process.
- The venue will have clearly visible sanitising stations and patrons and staff will be encouraged to sanitise their hands regularly
- All bathroom areas are equipped with sanitising stations.
- The Theatre’s box office and foyer bar/ coffee bar areas will be cash-free environments as far as possible to reduce contact and ensure safety of patrons and staff.
- Patrons to be encouraged to print tickets at home or use the QR code on their phones to limit ticket contact in venue.
- Auditorium doors will be opened earlier than usual to allow the smooth flow of patrons through our foyer areas and prevent any congestion and queues.
- The auditorium is deep cleaned and sanitised between performances to ensure all surfaces are 100% germ-free
- The auditorium Covid-19 compliant seating plan has been put together using the latest Government social distancing protocols and to ensure that our audience members are seated safely within their “bubbles”. Our theatre can hold a maximum of 50% of its usual capacity to ensure audience safety whilst watching a show.
- Montecasino has a high-tech air-conditioning system in place and this will be operating at full during each performance to ensure the healthy circulation of fresh air
- All dressing room and backstage areas are equipped with sanitising stations and are cleaned between shows.
- All performers are required to wear masks when they come off stage and to observe social distancing protocols within dressing rooms and backstage areas.
There will be no gatherings after the show at Stage Door or in the foyer areas, and audience members and staff are all encouraged to leave the theatre space as quickly as possible once the show has ended.