Back By Popular Demand!
You can’t go to Greece, but we can bring Greece to you!
VR Theatrical is delighted to announce that following the wonderful success of the current sold-out season – Shirley Valentine is to return to Montecasino from 22 June!
Some of you will remember her. Willy Russell’s heroine of the 80’s. She played the West End and Broadway, won numerous accolades and was celebrated in film. Her name was Shirley Valentine, before she became Shirley Bradshaw, a middle aged woman, lost in her role as mother to two grown children, and wife to a husband in a somewhat stale marriage. When a friend offers her a trip to Greece, a long forgotten exuberance begins to bubble up in her. Shirley’s journey is a celebration of many a contemporary woman, balancing motherhood, marriage and self-actualisation. Shirley Bradshaw is the ‘original gangster’ of self-care and self-love – a beacon of empowerment. Long before we had hashtags, we had Shirley.
“We believe that what Shirley has to say is important. And it is more relevant than ever,” says Jaco van Rensburg from VR Theatrical. “My business partner grew up knowing the movie and it was his idea to option it. When I watched it – and later read it – I knew he was spot on! It is relatable, oh so funny and even more relevant today!”
The play is directed by Gina Shmukler and Natasha Sutherland returns once more as Shirley.
Nothing beats a great night out at the theatre… experience the top tier in live productions at Pieter Toerien’s Theatre & Studio at Montecasino.
Pieter Toerien’s Theatre & Studio has been home to some of South Africa’s best theatre with both local and international stars gracing its stage including Bea Arthur, Moira Lister, Bill Flynn, Tim Plewman, Michael Richard, Tobie Cronje, Pieter-Dirk Uys, Marc Lottering and Rex Garner, Fiona Ramsay, Alan Committie, Ashley Dowd and Neels Van Jaarsveld.
All covid-19 protocols will be observed and social distancing will be implemented in the seating arrangements.
Age Restriction: Parental Guidance is advised.
Running time: 80 minutes with no interval.
1. Pieter Toerin’s Theatre is a Covid-19 compliant venue and face masks are required to be worn at all times in the theatre. The Theatre will enforce a firm “No Mask – No Entry” policy.
2. All staff and patrons are required to observe social distancing protocols upon entry to the venue.
3. The venue will have clearly visible sanitising stations and patrons and staff will be encouraged to sanitise their hands regularly
4. All bathroom areas are equipped with sanitising stations.
5. The Theatre’s box office and foyer bar/ coffee bar areas will be cash-free environments as far as possible to reduce contact and ensure safety of patrons and staff.
6. Patrons to be encouraged to print tickets at home or use the QR code on their phones to limit ticket contact in venue.
7. Auditorium doors will be opened earlier than usual to allow the smooth flow of patrons through our foyer areas and prevent any congestion and queues.
8. The auditorium is deep cleaned and sanitised between performances to ensure all surfaces are 100% germ-free
9. The auditorium Covid-19 compliant seating plan has been put together using the latest Government social distancing protocols and to ensure that our audience members are seated safely within their “bubbles”. Our theatre can hold a maximum of 50% of its usual capacity to ensure audience safety whilst watching a show.
10. Montecasino has a high-tech air-conditioning system in place and this will be operating at full during each performance to ensure the healthy circulation of fresh air
11. All dressing room and backstage areas are equipped with sanitising stations and are cleaned between shows.
12. All performers are required to wear masks when they come off stage and to observe social distancing protocols within dressing rooms and backstage areas.
13. There will be no gatherings after the show at Stage Door or in the foyer areas, and audience members and staff are all encouraged to leave the theatre space as quickly as possible once the show has ended.